Friday, February 10, 2012

Word of the Day: Isthmus

Isthmus...well going back to 6th grade social studies an Isthmus is a narrow strip of land that connects two larger pieces of land with water on two sides.

Say this word out-loud, go ahead...I'll wait...it shouldn't sound like you have a speech impediment when you say it. I've yet to get that right. the "th" makes me think it should be pronounced differently. Which takes me to my point of the day. I cannot understand the English language. Why do we have letters if they are silent? What is the point! Isthmus is pronounced is-mes. Where did the "t" and "h" go! Why have them there if they do nothing for the word. It's crap like this that gets me completely confused and makes me sound like a moron in business meetings. I blame YOU isthmus for my massacre of the English Language and YOU are the reason that I sound like I'm from the backwoods every time I try to sound intelligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment