Sunday, June 28, 2009

Happy Birthday!

The day finally came! So at my 41 week appt I had asked my Doctor if they could push my inducement up and they said they would try but couldn't guarantee anything. I got a call on Thursday morning saying that I would be going in on Friday morning to have the baby. I was so excited but for the first time the whole pregnancy I was actually getting nervous for delivery. Anyway...

Got to the hospital at 7:30 Friday morning. I had been having mild contractions for the past 12 hours so I was hoping that the induction would go relatively easy since my body was already getting ready (I've heard some real horror stories about induction). I got my IV - they started fluids and they put the monitors on my belly for the babies heartbeat and my contractions. My doctor came in about an hour later and broke my water. Come to find out that they hadn't started the Pitocin (induction medication) yet and now its just about 9 a.m. I was at 2.5 cm at that point. My Mom arrived around 10 - by this time Dan is absolutely bored out of his mind. The TV only had 8 channels and you can only watch the same sportscenter so many times! His parents came in at about 10:30/11:00. I was still feeling really good at that point - the contractions weren't horribly painful, coming every 2 minutes - they were upping (is that a word) my pitocin to keep things moving - and we were all laughing a joking around...until 1 pm. Holy crap the contractions went from like a 3/4 to a 6/7 in about 2 minutes. I was breathing through them as much as possible but it was difficult to keep focused. The nurse told me that I could get my epidural at any time but not to wait too long because I may have to wait for them to be available. So around 2 pm the phone call was made. And 30 minutes after that I was happier then pumpkin pie! Honestly epidural = best invention ever! So at 2:30 I was 5 cm. Things moved really quickly from there. At around 4 pm my nurse checked me and I was at 9.5 cm. My doctor said to check me again in an hour since this was my first pregnancy that it would take about an hour. 15 minutes later I was in pain again and feeling like I needed to push...so back in came the nurse - she called the doctor and said we were ready. I started pushing around 4:30; had to stop for about 10 minutes because the doctor didn't think I was going to go that fast; and little Charles David was born at 4:53 pm.

He weighed 9 pounds 6 ounces and 21 1/2 inches long. He's a big guy just like his Dad! There is no doubt that he is a Chialastri except for his toes that's ALL mommy. All in all it was a great experience, I was happy with the birth and ecstatic to finally be able to hold my little man. We went home 24 hours later and have been adjusting to life with a newborn pretty well. He's doing really well and we couldn't ask for a more well behaved baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment