Wednesday, November 2, 2011

1st Dentist Appointment - 28 Months

Let me start off by saying overall the experience was a good one. The office was wonderful, the staff was very good with David. They went out of their way to make him feel comfortable and to keep him as calm as possible. For that I am very grateful because the last thing I want to do is traumatize him and cause him to never want to go to the dentist. The appointment was also very quick, they talked to him, counted his teeth, brushed, flossed and applied some fluoride. It was over before he knew it and the tears stopped promptly.

But...

These people are freaking crazy! I was told that he had some white spots on some of his teeth called Enamel Hypoplasia and that it was a miracle that I brought him in now because in a year from now they would all be cavities and would need caps...seriously? Insert eye roll here. So I'm told in order to keep his baby teeth from being attacked and needing caps that I need to buy fluoride water, brush his teeth twice a day, floss at night (umm yeah, okay), and paint fluoride onto his teeth every night. The dentist did say to tell David that we are going to say "Bye Bye Germs" and this would make him okay with the flossing. Ha! Can't wait to try that tonight. He will also need braces when he gets older and she can tell because of his jaw line. Oh and he probably has an overbite but she can't say for sure since he won't shut his mouth.

I'm sorry but I'm calling straight up Shenanigans on this one. First, the braces...she said we don't have an overcrowding issue and that the gaps between his teeth are good. So why exactly is he going to need braces and how in the hell can you tell at 2 years of age. I mean, I could see it if we had teeth pointed in all directions, or twisted, or on top of each other...but we don't. Second, the mild Enamel Hypoplasia he has can turn into a problem at some point in time but who is so dramatic as to call it a miracle I brought him in now and not in 6 months from now. Who can floss their 2 year old every night? And who in their right mind thinks calling it Bye Bye Germs is going to make it go more smoothly. We finished the appointment by the dentist putting her hand on my knee and saying "Please spread the word" lol....if I say okay will you stop touching me?

At the end of the day I will continue having David brush his teeth and will buy the fluoride to put on his teeth nightly but I won't guarantee anything with the flossing! Maybe one day he will need braces and we will talk about it when his adult teeth start coming in...not when he's 2. We will do the best we can but the scare tactics were ridiculous. Either way he's the cutest kid at the dentist office today:


No comments:

Post a Comment