Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mr. Awesome

Today was my long run and an increase of a mile from last week. My husband conceded to my pleadings for running outside as long as I went a few miles down the road to run the Cross Island Trail. At least if I was on the trail the dogs would be on a leash...if there were any. I headed out just after noon, David and Dan were napping so I left hoping I could be back before they woke up. (I failed)

The first mile was okay. I was slow and just enjoying the scenery. Once I hit the second mile I picked the pace and kept an eye on my watch to make sure I was hovering around a 10 min mile. I passed a couple runners but mostly bikers. Coming up on 2 1/2 miles a biker was approaching from the opposite direction. He was an older gentleman and he began cheering for me. He was clapping and telling me how awesome I was doing and to keep it up. It put the biggest smile on my face and really made a difference. I couldn't help thinking about him as I kept running, smiling and thinking how great it was that he was cheering on everyone. Mile 3 and 4 were uneventful. I felt good and was able to get into a trance and just chug along. At about 5 1/2 miles I began to slow down a little and just as I started to have a little self doubt I look up only to see Mr. Awesome again. He started cheering again and noting it had been about 30 minutes since I had seen him last. It really helped to give me that last bit that I needed to finish up strong.

How can someone be that awesome AND how do I get to be that awesome? He bikes the trail and all the while cheering on those around him. Just a true inspiration on how to be a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment