Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 28 - 5K

I've been in Cancun since last Sunday. I was scheduled to run Monday and Wednesday - both times 2 miles. The resort had a gym on the first floor so Monday morning I got dressed went down and jumped on the treadmill. First of all - everything is in km not miles. Which would be fine if I was running a full 5k, but I wasn't so as I'm running along I have no idea how far I have to go to hit 2 miles and how fast I should be running. The windows were all closed, I was the 5th treadmill going, and there was no air conditioning. After a little over a mile I called it quits never to return.

Jump to yesterday morning. My first 5k, I'm running with my sister who has done a few of these before, and I'm freaking out a little. I haven't run in a week and I've never run 3 miles before. The farthest I've gone is 2 miles at this point. My goal was to hit 35 minutes...well really I would have liked to be at 33 minutes but where I was in training that goal was not realistic. The beginning of the run is going okay, we got caught behind some walkers which stunk but we got through the majority of them within the first 1/2 mile. That's just about the point where I realized I should have gone to the bathroom prior to starting the run.

First mile was a breeze, I wasn't breathing hard, our run pace was steady. The next mile was still good, we were running in the sun and it was getting hot but my breathing was still under control and my pace was fine. Once we hit the third mile I was having to convince myself to continue running. I had to go to the bathroom so bad, my pace was still pretty steady but my legs felt like they weighed a million pounds. At about 2.5 miles I couldn't take it anymore and stopped for a potty break. When I came back out my shoe was untied and of course I had to stop for that. After that happened my concentration and drive was gone. I got moving again and finished but missed my goal of 35 minutes. I was pretty down on myself for the rest of the day when I shouldn't have been. I finished my first 5k!

Day 28
3.18 miles
37:49 (11:58 mile)

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up!!! You did it, that's what matters! After running on the road, I realized that I should have never started to run on a treadmill...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandy! I've heard people say its harder to run on the road if you are used to a treadmill.

    ReplyDelete